To meet the requirements for weight loss surgery our patients need to meet the guidelines listed below.
We have experts that work with you throughout the entire process. We understand that this an important decision and don't want you to feel alone.
To be eligible for weight loss surgery, you must:
- Be at least 100 lbs. over "ideal body weight"
- Have a BMI (Body Mass Index) over 40, or
- Have a BMI between 35-39.9 and major co-morbidities such as:
- Sleep Apnea
- High Blood Pressure
- Heart Disease
- Have no important medical or psychological conditions that would prevent a successful surgery
- Have a medical clearance from your primary care doctor
- Be mobile or able to walk
- Be willing to commit to new life-changing habits that include the following:
- A new way of eating for life
- Become more physically fit with exercise
- Attend important support groups after surgery
- Attend therapy sessions with our psychologist
- Follow-up care with your surgeon
- Be motivated and have a reasonable view of the surgical outcome. The surgery is a tool to help you lose weight and become healthy
- Understand the risks, side effects and complications of gastric bypass surgery. *Female patients should not become pregnant for 18 months after gastric by-pass surgery. This could cause injury to the unborn child.
- Contact your insurance and ask if morbid obesity (Bariatric) surgery is covered under your plan.